Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I live for the weekend

I hope you all had a good weekend. I had a relatively relaxing, but totally satisfying few days. A couple of nights of not having to cook, some time away from the kids surrounded by beautiful scenery at my class fieldtrip, dinner at my new favorite restaurant where we spotted the Divine Miss M. (who knew Bette Midler likes Korean BBQ), and watching the first 5 episodes of Lost, FINALLY. Mama like. I just went back to Blockbuster and traded in the first disc for the next two. I'm addicted. This is totally what I was fearing. My goal is to allow no more than 1 episode per night. I had watched some episodes here and there in the past, but since I didn't watch any of the early episodes and didn't watch frequently enough to follow the characters, I couldn't really get hooked. But now with the miracle of TV on DVD, I can watch to my heart's content, all commercial-free. This is the best way to watch TV. Even though there are new episodes of Lost every week, I will wait until this season comes out on DVD to watch it. It's the only way to go, that is, for a mom with my schedule. By the way, do they ever find out what crime Kate committed? I'm sure it couldn't have been anything THAT bad. She has got to be the most gorgeous actor on TV. And what kind of mental illness Locke has? What an incredible cast! By the way, I love it when the Korean couple speaks and no one, including the TV-viewing audience, can understand because they have no subtitles. It's like this added bonus, because I know their secret language. I love the whole premise that whatever happened in your life before the crash is irrelevant now. We as people have a hard time with this, because we need to know where someone came from, their family upbringing, their birth order, their crimes, their passions, their aptitudes, etc... in order to size someone up. Wouldn't it be refreshing if we could leave our lives behind and be who we are, without our CVs and our history?

This weekend, I also finished reading Tipping Point, and found it to be incredibly enlightening. Who knew that every human brain is only able to distinguish the same finite number of categories, love a certain number of people and have a certain capacity for the number of people we know. This is all programmed in our brains and not a result of how good we are socially. There are so many applications for this type of information. For instance, I was thinking about our church and its membership, which is hovering somewhere under 150. According to the book, if we were to get any larger, divisions would naturally start forming and there wouldn't be the same close-knit community as before. It's so true - we know, at least at some level, everyone within our church and are able to go up to anyone fairly comfortably. Getting people's names straight isn't an issue yet and people are at a comfortable level where they know who to ask for help in certain situations. We are like one tribe. I like it this way.

It's the beginning of a fresh week and I think I'm finally starting to feel like I have a grip on balancing household demands, the kids and my own interests. It only took me about 3 1/2 years. I can say now that I'm at a point where my kids have a normal routine and their needs are being met, but at the same time, I have a schedule, too, and am getting what I need from the day to keep me charged and happy. Why is it then that everyone is starting to ask me again if we're going to have a third baby? What? Do I look too content and comfortable, as if I need another challenge in my life?

No comments: