Thursday, February 09, 2006

Dearly Beloved,


goldfish
Originally uploaded by hyuhan.

We are gathered here to celebrate the lives and mourn the deaths of Prince and Snow White, dear, precious goldfish. In the 8 months that you shared your lives with us, you were good pets to us and I hope you enjoyed your lives with us. We're sorry we moved you around so much in the last week and probably caused you to die. In any case, you were very special to us and we will miss you sorely.

I thought about having a burial for the fish, but it just seemed a bit overboard. I've actually lost many fish in my lifetime, so 8 months is pretty good for me considering my previous record is about one week. Prince and Snow White were so healthy, because they benefited from all the hard lessons I had to learn from all my previous pets. This time around, I knew not to overfeed them, to de-chlorinate their water, to clean the filter and the water, to give them a stress-free environment with plenty of water to swim around. The girls seem to be taking it pretty well. Abby mentioned that she wants a dog next. The girl doesn't like to waste her time mourning. Sheez, give the fish a moment of silence at least, before planning their replacement. I think I may have had more of an attachment to them than they did. I was trying so hard to give them the life that I couldn't with my former fish. It was too sad (and too gross) for me to bear, so I called Joe in to clear out the bodies early this morning.

It's interesting that both fish departed on the same day. Maybe they couldn't bear to be apart from one another. We still have another fish, Nemo, who is alive and well. And actually Snow White died of natural causes, but Prince jumped bowl and was found early this morning under the girls' dresser. This reminds me of a great black and white movie I saw about a man who was in love with this woman he had admired from afar. Upon finding her he said something like this: "We are like two fish swimming around and around in a bowl. Every time we meet, it's as if we are seeing each other for the first time again."

No comments: