Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Love Day!

I was surprised when I turned on Blue's Clues today to find that we are not celebrating Valentine's Day today, but instead "LOVE Day". How much more P.C. can we get? Is St. Valentine too Judeo Christian for everyone? First it was Christmas, now it's Valentines. What's next, Mardi Gras? Personally, I could care less. In our household, we don't celebrate the holiday, at least not the typical way. Before the kids came along, Joe used to go through the whole rigmarole of making reservations over a month in advance just so we could sit down to an overpriced, mass-produced 4-course prix fixe meal. One year, we decided to put our foot down. To us, showing love and appreciation is a daily part of life. I don't need a holiday to eat a box of chocolates or enjoy some good food. I can (and do) do that whenever I please. I am proud to say that I haven't bought a Hallmark card in over 2 years. Not that I don't have anything against the company ($4 for a piece of paper with someone's else's words on it and then sold by the millions, that's brilliant), but I'd rather make my own cards. They have more meaning and more heart. I'm starting to sound so "baaa humbug". Anyway, I do have a 3-course dinner at home planned for us, and if the kids go down early, maybe we can actually digest our food and enjoy each other's company in peace. This is my idea of a perfect Valentine's Day. I will celebrate Valentines Day today, if not only for the reason to give my husband and babies more smooches.

To Joe: Although you have a voice audible to even the deafest animals and humans, have a fiery temper and are not Mr. Fixit, I love you. I love the way you care for our girls and me like your own right arm, I love it when you crack cheesy jokes and ask immediately after, "Ya like that one?" and I love your ceaseless patience and perseverance in opening the 10-ton safe holding my inner feelings and thoughts. We have learned a lot about each other over the years and amazingly, our love continues to grow. You complement my every weakness and temper my every madness. Where would I be without you?

To my girls: Although the drama in the house has gone up ten-fold since you've been born and there are days I wish and pray for just a minute of silence, I would not be who I am today without you. Even when there were days I couldn't get up or couldn't bear to face the day, I knew you would be there, waiting, smiling, depending on me. My two biggest accomplishments were giving birth to you two. You are my reasons to smile everyday: Abby, my strong, witty, feisty, giggly Princess; and Sarah, my soft, gentle, sweet, cuddly, baby baby.

Happy Love Day, everyone.

No comments: