Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Candy is a legal narcotic


Happy Halloween
Originally uploaded by hyuhan.
Last night after our girls' first trick or treating venture I witnessed a transformation in my children that I've never seen before in my life. We never let our children have candy unless they are at a birthday party. Until last night, I wondered if we were too strict and what would happen if we allowed our children a very occasional indulgence from the sweets jar. After all our door-to-door candy groveling was over, each of our girls were allowed 1 lollipop from their pumpkins. The instant the sugar hit their bloodstream I felt like I was watching 2 chimpanzees behind bars at the zoo. They were climbing on top of each other, screaming, pulling, running in circles.

Other than that, our first Halloween was pretty fun and memorable. Abby and Sarah stood in amazement and excitement in front of each home with the same look on their faces as the first time we took them to Disneyland. I could tell that Abby was in heaven each time a new resident opened their door and told her she was a beautiful Mulan and proceeded to reward her with the one thing she covets in this world, which we as parents have tried to shelter her from her whole life - CANDY. Sarah just stood there, appropriately, like a cow in headlights and occasionally said "MOOOO" and "treeeet" (her way of saying trick or treat, but conveniently leaving only one choice). This afternoon I asked Abby what she thought about Halloween, she gave me a huge grin and asked me if we could do it all over again SOON.

1 comment:

ChaEsq said...

MOOOOOO.
That's awesome!
(And yes, they look totally cracked out. SCARY.)