Monday, March 06, 2006

The envelope

I think I must be the only person in LA not watching the Academy Awards. Aside from my soon to be airing 30 minutes of fame on reDesign, I try to ignore Hollywood. The whole industry annoys me. Any person or group of people who think they are so influential in people's lives, but really have little true value to the world, bugs me. You (or should I say, we?) are entertainers. That's all. I still enjoy meeting actors and musicians, especially the gracious ones, but the ones that act like they're above all that, really chap my hide. Anyway, I am even more annoyed because I checked the Oscar winners online and my top pick for most overly hyped and overrated films won best picture. Don't get me started again on why I hate this film so much ... it's not just the sometimes overdone acting, the purposely disjointed and ineffective storyline, and the contrived and boringly obvious script. Who can't make a movie with a bunch of actors fulfilling every extreme racial stereotype in the book? I just feel bad for the skinhead and the redneck KKK member that got cut in the final edit of the film. This just proves that the Academy has NO idea what they're talking about. And by the way, any movie with Sandra Bullock is on my "worst list." She makes Brendan Fraser look like an Oscar contender. This has to be the worst year in Oscar history.

Okay, that's my Hollywood rant for the day. Moving on. I can't believe we are well into March already. I keep getting this month mixed up with the last and the next one. It's weird. I think it has to do with the fact that the weather is so random here. January was the warmest month so far this year. That, plus the fact that the days are passing so quickly, all contribute to my complete inability to keep track of time. My problem may be more serious though. The other day, I was looking at the expiration date on a box of cookies and I got confused. "It says October 2006, is that expired yet or is it still safe to consume?" It's not 2007 yet, is it? Who's this strange man in my house and whose kids are these? Wait, where am I? I think I'm definitely doomed to live the later part of my years with dementia. I should ask Joe for an MRI.

Ahhh. Another fresh week. I say that every week. I think I'm just trying to erase all the mistakes from the past week. The kids finally fell asleep at about 11 PM. This means that in the morning I get to look forward to battling a cranky, uncooperative 3-yr old and trying to get her to school on time. God, give me mercy and let me have grace.

**Added on 3/10/06: Link to an excellent LA Times article by Steve Lopez on Crash and racial tension in LA.

No comments: