Tuesday, July 18, 2006

We're all the same, and yet so different

Did you know that it's an unwritten protocol that wherever you are, in whatever city, Costco employees all around the world draw big smiley faces on the back of your receipt if you have a child with you? I've hit at least a dozen different Costco's from coast to coast and in Hawaii, and it's all the same. Hmmm. Another reason why I love Costco.

For the past few nights we have been catching a show on one of those sci fi channels called "The Baby Human." It's fascinating what researchers uncover about the human brain and development through testing little babies. Like, did you know that babies only 4 months old can distinguish the slight sound variations in a particular foreign language, even ones that are not spoken in their household? As they get older, they lose this ability, because the brain begins to sift out the information that it doesn't need. There is also an age (around 18 months) when children begin to distinguish the difference between themselves and others. They recognize that others may have different desires from their own. And this is also when they begin to learn how to deal with differences between themselves and others. As I was listening to this I realized, I think that I must have missed this developmental stage completely. Why is it that I have such a hard time understanding how people could act so cruelly toward others? I especially have a hard time when I have to deal directly with people who show no respect or regard for others. Instead of thinking that they may just be another individual with different opinions (who can maybe be reasoned with), I just want to abandon contact with them completely. I wouldn't call myself conceited, but I guess I do also have a hard time understanding why people wouldn't just agree with me and be like me. Like why doesn't everyone have a Costco membership? And why doesn't everyone love NY? And why doesn't everyone believe there is a God? And why doesn't everyone recycle? But seriously, this is probably the root of all my relationship issues. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on myself. After all, don't we all have a bit of self-righteousness in us? I wonder though, why did I just completely skip that whole stage as a baby when you learn how to understand and resolve differences?

I hate heat. I don't care how much people complain about cold, snowy weather. Heat sucks. At least in the cold you can throw on more layers. In the heat, even if you go commando, you're still cooked meat. The one redeeming quality about summer: sandals and not having to wash and sort dozens of the girls' little socks. Try sorting and accounting for socks of 4 different sizes. If I have any more children, I've decided that we will all have to suck it up and wear sandals through the winter. And everyone in the family will have to agree with me on this one.

No comments: