Sunday, July 23, 2006

Four years of smiles


Tonight we celebrated Abby's 4th Birthday with some of her friends. It was the largest party we've had for her yet, except for her 1st birthday, which was almost like a wedding reception (but she'll never remember it). I think in the end there were 15 kids and 7 babies (plus adults). It was almost 120 degrees today and unfortunately for our daughter she will always be stuck having summer parties. At least we were indoors. Because of the anticipated heat, this year we opted for the indoor prepackaged party, which is totally not my style, since I like to have control over every aspect of party planning. In fact, I apologize in advance to my daughters for what I will put them through on their wedding days. In the end, it was very nice. I got to enjoy the party and watch my daughter have a good time, and I didn't have to stress over planning all the activities. Oh yeah, and did I mention the scorching heat outside?!!! What did I say before about global warming? I did of course have to get involved somehow, so I made my greatest culinary creation yet - the Barbie princess cake, which consisted of a plastic Barbie on a stake, stuck into a dome shaped pink frosted cake (strawberry cake on the outside and yellow cake with pineapple in the middle). Dude, buttercream is not as easy to make as it looks. It reminded me of Abby's first birthday party, except this time I didn't have my sous chefs, Cha and my brother, to sift all my powdered sugar and flour for me.

Watching my daughter today at the party I was reminded of what an extraordinarily special girl she is. Most girls her age would be overwhelmed at a party with so many kids and activities. But not our big girl. She was so overjoyed just because all her friends were there with her to celebrate her special occasion. I can already picture her 30 years from now, entertaining crowds, mingling with ease and being surrounded with people. She was born with a love for people. As a baby she always loved to smile at strangers and talk to people everywhere we went. She actually inspires me to be more loving and open towards others. Her smile melts my heart. And she has a laugh that is so contagious. It's one of those that is so hearty that her eyes squeeze shut and head falls back from the propulsion of the laugh coming out.

No comments: