Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A day in the life of our family

Here's a crazy scene from our family room one night:

[Enter UPS delivery man] I just receive a package from UPS. Hurriedly I open the package to see what it is, forgetting that I ordered something again online.
I rip open the box and pull out layers of packing filler covering the treasure. The anticipation is killing me.
There laying at the bottom is the karaoke mic system we ordered late one night on a whim.
"Yesss!" I proclaim.

I battle with the industrial strength, commercial grade plastic and finally release all the contents: an easy to plug in mic with a 300-song chip, 4 bonus chips and a small binder with a long list of alphabetized songs.

Joe watches from a distance, still sick and his body still riddled with the flu.

I plug it in and select an easy Beatles song, Blackbird. Sadly my score is pathetic (a mere 40 something). I clear my throat, adjust the pitch and the tempo and go at it again.

My husband interrupts, "Don't you want to give the kids a try?"

Oh yeah. I find some kids songs. My kids are tone deaf and can't keep a rhythm. I can't even remember their pitiful score, but the machine said something to the effect of, "keep trying." I guess my dreams of Julliard are blown.

We give it another 4 or 5 songs. We are determined to break 80.

It's "From this Moment," our very own wedding song that brings me home with a whopping score of 97. [sound of prerecorded applause in the background]

Yessss! I knew it was in me.

Final scene: The kids and I are fighting over the mic and poor Joe shuffles back into bed with the cacophonic sounds of 3 screeching girls echoing in the background.
[Fade to black]
Anyone up for karaoke?

No comments: