Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Brainwashed Texan

Having grown up most of my life in Texas where the motto is "Bigger is Better" (including the people), you start to actually believe that size really does matter. I have always subconsciously chosen the bigger things in life. For example, I feel at home at places like Costco, and their packaging is just my size. When I sit and think about it more, I realize I don't really like:

  • small cars (especially the kind with small engines),
  • small trunks (I need cargo space to haul all my big stuff. We once hauled a 9-ft. long wood patio table with 6 matching chairs AND a large sandbox, shaped like a boat, all in the minivan in 1 trip.)
  • small homes (at least for our family of 4; although I hate huge homes even more),
  • small babies (the fatter the better),
  • small creatures (e.g. insects, lizards and rodents),
  • small dogs (look too much like large rodents),
  • small underwear (thongs are evil),
  • small kitchens,
  • small cutting boards (very annoying to cut on),
  • small refrigerators (We have a counter-depth fridge and the absence of those few inches is killing me. Fortunately, we have a spare fridge in the garage.),
  • small closets (I have no walk-in closets!),
  • small spaces (such as attics and crawl spaces),
  • small toys (that I constantly have to pick up for my children and get lost in couch cushions or who knows where),
  • small doors (I own a side-by-side double stroller),
  • small lips,
  • small eyebrows (e.g. Whoopi Goldberg),
  • small fingernails and toenails (which I am cursed with),
  • small, pointy shoes (I have feet on the large size for my height. Plus, they are also a bit wider.),
  • small, beady eyes,
  • small, expensive gadgets (which I'm constantly worried about losing),
  • small purses (what's the point?),
  • small planes (I've flown my share of prop-jets),
  • small computers (I know I would like a smaller notebook computer, but I just feel like my monster laptop/countertop has more power and speed),
  • small lot sizes (Hello, LA),
  • small wallets (I stuff everything in mine including coupons which I whip out everywhere. Just go shopping with me, you will see),
  • small pools (unless it's a jacuzzi which is not for swimming),
  • small produce (Some say they are sweeter and organic is better, but God also gave us the science to produce bigger and better fruit. Also, I'm unable to cook in small portions),
  • small hair pins (which I have to use because my daughters have no hair and they are constantly losing),
  • small cookbooks (I've never read one that was good)
  • small bathtubs (need to fit 1-2 comfortably),
  • small towels (I grew up with puny little towels my whole life and now own only oversized bath towels)
  • small men (my apologies to all you short-statured men. I'm married anyway.),
  • small handwriting (unless your intent is for others not to read what you wrote)
  • small stuff in your home that doesn't really have a place,
  • small stuff I need and can never find when I need it,
  • small pieces that are left at the end when clearing out the dishwasher,
  • and... to add to my list, I just realized I don't like small states.

I have never lived in a state less than 46,058 square miles in size. The only states I've lived in are the first, second, third and sixth most populated states, and the sixth-ranked state (with well over 12 million residents) was definitely the worst in my memory. I didn't realize until now just how severe my size prejudice is.

No comments: