Saturday, January 28, 2006

Not my usual self


The new me
Originally uploaded by hyuhan.
For the past several days I have been another woman. I have transformed into some kind of supercharged, handywoman, task master, OCD cleaning machine (I decided to get some photos taken just to prove it ---->). Here are just a few examples of the strange behavior I have been exhibiting: I went around the house and hung up almost all the pictures that have been sitting against the wall of the office for the past year (total of 8), I obsessively chased after the contractors who were working on our family room remodel with a Swiffer mop, I fixed a droopy shelf in a closet (which was not as easy as it sounds; it involved a power drill, 5/8" drill bit, stud finder, 4 2-inch wood screws and some muscle), and attempted to fix a running toilet (in the end, I decided to leave this one to the hubby). I hate touching toilets, even though ours were brand new when we moved in and get cleaned on a regular basis. In the process of fixing that droopy closet shelf, I had to pull out all the boxes of junk I chose not to deal with when we first moved in. At the time (1 year ago on Feb. 1), I was too overwhelmed with the task of unpacking hundreds of boxes; some of which by the end of our packing were full of pieces of miscellaneous odds and ends we couldn't decide whether to throw away. It was just too, too much at the time. But NOW was the time that God had chosen for the closet to get an enema. I flushed and purged it. And it felt GOOOOD!

I think I will go around and patch all the cracks and dings in the walls and moldings next, and then paint all the spots that need to be touched up. And then I will pop open an ice cold beer and scratch myself. What is up with me? I think it has to do with the fact that we've had contractors working diligently on our home for 3 days straight. Being around people who are working hard inspires me to work hard too. It feels great. My soul feels at peace. Is this what neat freaks feel like all the time, or do they just have more anxiety because they're constantly thinking about the next thing they need to straighten up? In any case, I wonder how long this will last.

No comments: