Friday, May 04, 2007

Peanut Butter and Jelly

This week Joe and I celebrated our 8th anniversary. Wow, eight years! That's 1/4 of my life. People look at our relationship and they tell us that we're like peanut butter and jelly. In some ways we are just like those 2 elements. This is why I think it's so true. We are definitely very different; one of us nuttier and the other a bit sweeter. We did grow from very different trees (our vastly disparate families). On our own, we are both a bit extreme, but together, we make a very nice combination. If you've ever had just a plain jelly sandwich or just a peanut butter sandwich, you know what I mean. We mellow out each other's temperaments and compliment each other's strengths and weaknesses.

This year I've been praying more for our marriage than ever before and I think that has made a world of difference. I don't know how people stay married without faith in God. Our faith is what makes us able to show grace to one another and put the other's needs before our own. I realize more and more with each passing year the purpose of God's perfectly crafted plan through marriage - so that we may understand His love and grace more fully, so that we may have a supporter when we need lifting, and so that we can glorify God with our combined might. And just as we are more sanctified through faith, so too does our marriage strengthen and improve through our love for one another (the very same love that God has given and shown us through His Son). Happy 8th Anniversary, Joe. You are the peanut butter to my jelly.

3 comments:

HSim said...

aww... that's so sweet, hayoung. happy anniversary to you both!! you two make a GREAT couple!

Marianne said...

Happy anniversary! So, I take it by your comment to Joe at the bottom that he's the peanut butter?

Owen Lee said...

Happy Anniversary! I am very encouraged to hear about your prayerfulness for your marriage. I look forward to many years of fellowship and service with your family!