Monday, February 05, 2007

Love don't come easy

Relationships are tough; everything from friends to family to marriage. Personalities clash. We tend to impose our expectations for ourselves on others. And of course, we are always the normal ones (in our mind's eye). We all go through a honeymoon phase, where everything about the other person is wonderful, fun and exciting (in friendships too). Even the other's supposed "faults" are not so unbearable, because we are willing to give the benefit of the doubt and overlook a lot. Then reality checks in. We get tired of the disappointment, the misunderstandings and the frustration. We are face to face with conflict; a pivotal fork in the road. Whether we choose to avoid conflict or confront it head-on will determine the future of the relationship. In marriage, if it hasn't happened already, 7 years is about the time when we often start to give up in small and large ways and go separate ways. In friendships, the rift can begin with even smaller, more petty things. It's just easier this way, we say. So often we make choices without volition. Seemingly, we don't choose anything and yet that in itself is an act - a declaration of disregard. We choose ourselves. Why do I talk about this? Because I struggle to wholeheartedly love my friends and family, and even my own husband. When God called us to love our neighbors, it was no small, simple task. I realize now, loving others is as easy as hating myself. Yet that's what it requires - not literally hating myself per se, but loving others that much more. I don't know if I'm able, at least not in this lifetime.

4 comments:

HSim said...

I've been thinking about the same thing lately. Loving people unselfishly is reallly hard - it's just so unnatural. As I get older, I feel it's even harder because I'm more limited in my resources such as time, energy, patience, tolerance, etc. If I had less demands and pressures/responsibilities I feel I could give more but that's probably just an excuse and cover for being too lazy to set my priorities straight (because I'm too selfish to put others ahead of myself). I'm a total sinner.

ChaEsq said...

I agree. And half the time I spend hating someone, I'm really just wishing I could love them instead. Sigh. It's heartbreaking, isn't it? Miss you ...

JDF said...

And if that were not enough, we are called not only to love our friends and our family, but even our enemies. You are not able, at least not in your flesh. But you have died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. We have to learn to think of ourselves as in Christ. Easier said than done I know, but thus the necessity of constantly reminding ourselves of the gospel. And not just that Jesus died, but that I have died with him. "I have been crucified with Christ, and it is no longer I who lives, but Christ who lives in me, and the life that I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me." When we meditate on the gospel we are enabled by the spirit to live the gospel of the one who loved and gave himself. I know you know this. Just reminding you, and reminding me!

Grace and Peace,
JDF

HA said...

Yes, we do have hope, don't we? Only through Christ are we made perfect. Thanks, PJ.