Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Officially becoming an adult

I consider myself an adult because I have:

  1. learned to set goals for myself and at least make a plan to achieve them.
  2. more often tried to choose what's good for me over what I really want. And sometimes these choices have become more automatic.
  3. had a relationship with someone of the opposite sex for more than a year and not killed him (yet).
  4. planned a trip from start to finish and included all the essentials (I'm getting good at this one).
  5. stopped getting carded by the grocery store checkout guy (even though it says they have to ask EVERYONE that looks under 36 or 37).
  6. fallen out of MTV's target age group. All of a sudden in the past few years, MTV has become progressively more stupid to me.
  7. developed a severe distrust and fear of teenagers.
  8. made Costco my first place to shop. If Costco had a wedding registry when we were getting married, you know I'd be all over that.
  9. stopped needing to get somewhere or do something ALL the time.
  10. learned to savor the good things in life: such as time with those you love and time without those you love.
  11. lost the desire to listen to loud music, drink excessively, and ride life-threatening roller coasters.
  12. had a live baby come out of me (twice) and given all that is within me to raise them.
  13. taught a child something useful.

And finally, I can now say that I've planned and executed 2 semi-formal dinner parties, one of which I planned the menu and prepared the food for as well. After 7 years of marriage, I pulled out flatware and dinnerware that I didn't think I'd ever see again. And all of a sudden I felt so different, as if all my childhood tea parties and pretend banquets had been preparing me for this moment. I know I'm already an adult, but suddenly I feel more official. I feel as if I've entered a new stage of adulthood... "formal (dinner party) adulthood."

No comments: