Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A toilet miracle

Late last night we had a breakthrough, a toilet miracle, you could say. Sarah came out of her bed and exclaimed that she wanted to go potty. I was highly doubtful. She has tried to come out of bed for any excuse under the sun (moon). This was probably just a ploy to not sleep. Plus, what toddler who doesn't even get peeing in the potty all of sudden catch themselves when they have an urge in the middle of the night. IMPOSSIBLE. So, not wanting to discourage her or send mixed messages, I reluctantly took her to the bathroom. But this time, something came out. PEE! I was freaking out. After we got her cleaned up after her big accomplishment, she quickly reminded me, "One jellybean, Mommy." That girl has every promise I've ever made to her etched in her brain. At first I was trying to convince her that the jelly bean was going to rot her teeth and that she would get her reward in the morning. But then I looked down at her sweet, disappointed face. She can play me like a violin. And I remembered the promise I made. No exceptions. So, I got out the jellybean and she went over to Dad to proudly tell him the good news. It's time to pull out the big girl underwear. My little girl's all growns up.

Honestly, I'm proud of Sarah and all, but inside I'm also dreading all the false alarms, rushed trips to awful public restrooms, and accidents. When I don't have to clean up another disgusting, poop-covered butt, THAT is when I'll be a free woman.

No comments: